FIRST Robotics is a non-profit organization founded in 1989 by Dean Karmen. Woodie Flowers, Co-Chair of the FIRST Executive Advisory Board, was critical in establishing the ethos of FIRST – “Gracious Professionalism.“
Gracious Professionalism is part of the ethos of FIRST. It’s a way of doing things that encourages high-quality work, emphasizes the value of others, and respects individuals and the community.” Gracious Professionalism is an idea we strive for in Quantum Misfits and one that will follow us throughout our life.
Coopertition is also highly encouraged by FIRST. It is “displaying unqualified kindness and respect in the face of fierce competition.” Teams, even though inolved in intense competition, respect each other and work together to help each other.
FIRST Core Values
Gracious Professionalism and Coopertition are embedded throughout the FIRST Core Values.
- Discovery: We explore new skills and ideas.
- Innovation: We use creativity and persistence to solve problems.
- Impact: We apply what we learn to improve our world.
- Inclusion: We respect each other and embrace our differences.
- Teamwork: We are stronger when we work together.
- Fun: We enjoy and celebrate what we do!“